Making your own decorations with your family is a fantastic way to spend your afternoon. Once you’re finished you have things to look back on as your children grow old to show what they made when they were smaller. Making Salt Dough Christmas Decorations is a perfect way to do this!
Please note, these salt dough decorations are non-edible.
What you need for your Salt Dough Christmas Decorations
2 parts plain flour
2 parts table salt
1 part water
Paints or felt tip pens
1. Gather all of the supplies from the list above. Double-check your list to make sure you have everything you need before you get started on making your dough.
2. Preheat the oven to around 120C or to the lowest temperature that you can set it to. Add you salt and flour into a large bowl and mix them together while dry. Slowly add in the water and continue to stir until the mixture comes together and you can form a ball.
3. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface. Using your cutters, cut out some shapes. Once done, gather up the uncut dough and re-roll it and repeat your cutting to get the most shapes out of your dough that you can. Poke a small hole in the top of your decoration.
4. Transfer all of your shapes onto a lined baking sheet. Be careful as you move them to try and help them keep as much of their shape as you can. Once on your sheet, place in the oven and bake for around 2-3 hours, checking them periodically to ensure that they don’t burn.
5. When they have baked, carefully remove them from your over. Find somewhere safe to leave your salt dough decorations to cool for an hour. Once cooled, use your pens and paints to decorate and colour your salt dough shapes. Add some ribbon or string through the hole you cut so they can be hung on your tree.
Monkey Puzzle needs your permission to store and access cookies to allow us to give you the best online experience. By clicking "Accept" you agree to our use of these cookies. You can change your settings through your preferences.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.
By submitting this form you are giving permission to contact you regarding your enquiry. News & Information: We like to contact you from time to time about products, services, news and promotions we think may be of interest to you. You can unsubscribe at any time.